Join our campaign!
Local councils have the power to fix unsafe homes, prevent illegal evictions and protect tenants from mistreatment, but nearly half of private renters don’t realise they can ask their council for help.
That's why private renters want local councillors who will:
Always take action to protect renters living in unsafe homes
- Ensure improvement notices are served on homes with severe hazards
- Make it easy for renters to understand how the council can help enforce their rights
Be a champion for renters within their local authority
- Push for an authority-wide private renter strategy
- Push for an online licence checker and help for renters to get rent refunds from negligent landlords
- Support local discretionary landlord licensing schemes
- Make sure the council website has useful information for renters that is easy to find
Reach out and talk to local renters about the issues they face
- Run ward drop-in sessions
- Distribute information on how the council can help
Read Generation Rent's full report on how local councils can help private renters live in safer, secure and more affordable homes.
By pledging you consent to receive emails from Generation Rent about our work on improving councils' support for private renters.